BUYING LAND IN ANTIGUA & BARBUDA
The government of Antigua & Barbuda owns 55% of the land in Antigua. The remaining 45% is privately owned. Currently, land ownership is prohibited on the island of Barbuda. The Land Department under the Ministry of Agriculture, Lands and Marine Resources is the main governing body.
- Land acquisition - Both citizens and non-citizens can lease of buy land from the government or the private sector. Buying through the government is always conditional on approval of a proposed project by line ministries and the Cabinet.
- Alien's Land Holding License - Land sold to non-citizens is subject to the Non-Citizen Land Holding Regulation Act, that makes provisions for the buyer to obtain a license to purchase land. It is advised that the buyer consults with a local attorney.
- DCA - Land use for commercial is deemed for agricultural and industrial or tourism use. The Town and Country Planning office of the Development Control Authority (DCA) designates land usage areas.
- Identifying land - Government manages several industrial estate and other plots for suitable projects. Private sector land focuses on land acquisition and leasing of commercial and residential space. There is a thriving private market for renting and selling vacation related properties in Antigua. Currently there are no privately owned or managed industrial estates.
- Government land - Presently there are seven designated industrial estates in Antigua. The Land Department, the Free Trade and Processing Zone and Industrial Development Board manage these estates.
- Land registration section
- Name of Lessee
- Name of Lessor
- Size of parcel
- Rental rate per annum
- Number of years the land is to be leased
- Intent of use
- General terms of the lease
- Exit conditions
- Payment terms
- Law applicable
- Date and authorizing signature