ANTIGUA AND BARBUDA TO PARTICIPATE IN THE 2011 CAC GAMES IN MAYAGUEZ, PUERTO RICO
Tuesday 12th July 2011
The 2011 Central American and Caribbean Athletics Championships (CAC) are scheduled to take place in in Mayagüez, Puerto Rico this year from July 15 – 17, 2011. The event, which will serve as a qualifier for the 2011 World Athletics Championships will be the fourth such event held in Puerto Rico with the previous three being held in Ponce in 1975, and later in San Juan in 1989 and 1997 respectively.
The Antigua and Barbuda Athletics Association (ABAA) will be fielding a team of six (6) in the event.
The names are:
1. H.E Daniel ‘Bakka’ Bailey who will compete in the 100 metre sprint and 4 x 100 metre relay;
2. Mr. James Grayman who will compete in the high jump;
3. Mr. Brendan Christian who will compete in the 200 metre race and 4 x 100 metre relay;
4. Mr. Richard Richardson who will compete in the 200 metre race and the 4 x 100 metre relay;
5. Mr. Quammie Joseph who will compete in the 100 metre and 4 x 100 metre relay; and
6. Ms. Althea Charles who will compete in the Hammer Throw
The ABAA’s 3rd Vice President, Mr. Calvin Greenaway will carry out double duties as Coach and Manager of the team.
President of the ABAA, Dr. Rodney Williams will also be in attendance at the event and will be joined by Mr. Greenaway at the CAC Congress which will be held on Thursday July 14, 2011 prior to the start of the games on the following day.
Both President and Coach expressed their confidence in the team’s ability to not only bring home medals but to move on to the World Championship Games following qualifications.
The team is expected to depart Antigua and Barbuda for Puerto Rico on Wednesday of this week.
NAME: Anne Jonas TEL: +1 268 562 1675/1680 FAX: +1 268 562 - 1681 EMAIL: firstname.lastname@example.org or: email@example.com ADDRESS: Office of the Minister of State: Sports, Local Government & Special Projects