FUNDING AND RELIEF EFFORTS FOR BARBUDAThursday 7th September 2017
Updated on September 18, 2017 at 3:00 PM: Our sister island Barbuda was devastated by Hurricane Irma. Within 48 hours everyone from the island (bar a few people) were evacuated to Antigua where they are now residing in homes, hotels and shelters around the island.
Many of them left with just a handbag as all of their belongings were lost in the storm so efforts have now turned to how to support them until they return to Barbuda and then long term how to re-build the island.
Financial contributions can also be made to trusted sources below. We know there are lots of funding links out there but we are confident these sources will pass all money on to the relief efforts.
MAKE A FINANCIAL DONATION TO ANTIGUA-BASED ORGANIZATIONS
- The Official Antigua & Barbuda Relief and Rebuilding Fund with regards to financial contributions in USD, EUR, GBP and CAD currencies sent directly from the Government, Sir Ronald Sanders, Ambassador/High Commissioner.
- ABSAR's Barbuda Relief Fund by dropping off contributions at their medic station in Falmouth Harbour or email firstname.lastname@example.org for wiring instructions, JustGiving's fundraising page with a $30,000 goal to provide short and long term shelter, communications and medical equipment. ABSAR was formally started by Julie Harvey in 1998 and now under the direction of Jonathan Cornelius is dedicated to saving lives in Antigua and Barbuda and the surrounding waters.
- Barbuda Relief and Rebuilding Fund via Antigua Commercial Bank and Caribbean Union Bank, administered by the Government of Antigua & Barbuda
- Halo Foundation - Generation Y, a registered youth extension of the local nonprofit Halo Foundation founded by our Governor General's wife Lady Williams with Brent Scotland as president.
- The ticketing App on behalf of the Antigua & Barbuda Red Cross and other partners. Locally owned and operated, you can download the ticketing App here, select Barbuda Aid event to donate and they will pass on 100% of the funds donated to the Red Cross. You can also track your donations here. A recognized as a member of the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies in November 1992, the Red Cross group was established as a branch of the British Red Cross in October 1941, and gained full autonomy when the country became independent from Britain in November 1981.
- Curtain Bluff Resort & Spa's non-profit (501c3) Old Road Fund. Howard and Chelle Hulford, the resort’s founders, started the Old Road Fund in 1974 to supply basic necessities to the community's neediest families, and extends support to various programs ranging from university scholarship assistance and medical relief to sports development.
Registration is required for overseas initiatives undertaking fundraising activities
NODS Antigua and Barbuda is requesting that all overseas initiatives undertaking fundraising activities for Barbuda register via the form here. This is a mandatory exercise that will allow NODS to effectively manage incoming shipments as well as to provide transparency.
MAKE A FINANCIAL DONATION TO FRIENDS OF ANTIGUA
- Operation Rebuild Barbuda Ascension Trust (charity #1127204) appointed by the Antigua & Barbuda High Commission London. The Ascension Trust is a Christian inter-denominational organisation established in 2003 with a passion to mobilise the Church to make a positive contribution to society and to improve the quality of life of the disadvantaged and vulnerable and to be ‘salt and light’ in local communities, cities and the nation.
- JustGiving's fundraising page set up by Jessye Romeo (Jazzie B) with a goal of £100,000. This fundraiser is being organized by a private citizen of Antigua and Barbuda in the UK after corresponding with the Antigua and Barbuda's High Commissioner Her Excellency Ms Karen-Mae Coralie Hill.
- Barbuda Recovery & Conservation Trust Fund run by the Waitt Institute & Waitt Foundation, in partnership with ICF. The Waitt Foundation (WF), is a grant making organization founded by Ted Waitt in 2005 and through the Blue Halo foundation has already worked with Barbuda on ocean conservation and they will matching all monies pledged up to US$100,000.
- Indiegogo's Antigua Barbuda Red Cross Hurricane Irma Relief Fund for Barbuda, organized by Chaneil Imhoff
- Frequent visitor of Barbuda, Ruth Bolton has established a GoFundMe account to raise £19,786 along with her sister, Claire Frank who lives on the island for over 30 years with daughters to help 1,600 Barbudans from the island. To donate, go to Help Barbuda.
FUNDRAISING EFFORTS BY ORGANIZATIONS IN ANTIGUA
- Le Bistro Restaurant will donate EC$5 for each diner during the month of September as part of their relief efforts.
- Residents of Barbuda have been evacuated to Antigua and staying at Sir Vivian Richards Cricket Stadium, National Technical Training Centre (NTTC) and Multipurpose Cultural & Exhibition Centre shelters across the island. If you have a room in your home you can open to a Barbudan, please call any of the following numbers 464-5056 / 736-3419 / 736-3420 /736-3421 / 736-3423
- Donate children's clothing including male and female underwear as well as sanitary pads, toiletries, food, kids' toys and games to over 80 Barbudans at the Sir Vivian Richards Cricket Stadium shelter.
- Bottles, formula, diapers, blankets, and wipes. Deliver to the Government Disaster Relief Clearing House at the Multipurpose Cultural & Exhibition Centre.
4. Drop Supplies, Not Cash donations at NODS on American Road (about half way between All
Saints Road and Factory Road).
- Unfortunately, they are not in a position to take cash support - that should be routed through other agencies.
- Kestrel Shipping warehouse in Essex will be accepting aid for Barbuda, package and ship items to Antigua and Barbuda at no cost from Tuesday, September 12th. Call +447539838103 for more information.
Donations of physical goods (non-perishables, toiletries, etc) to the Barbuda Relief Fund can be made to these consulate drop-off points in Manhattan, Bronx, Brooklyn, Queens, New Jersey, Connecticut, Pennsylvania, Massachusetts and Atlanta or ship directly to Antigua Cargo. Click here to find the nearest New York drop-off point or the cargo shipping address.
If you're shipping items for the Barbuda Relief, send to The National Office of Disaster Services, c/o Philmore Mullin, American Road, St John's Antigua. Mark on it Barbuda Relief, and it would be good to know the items that are being shipped. Duties will be waived that way.
If you are aware of any relief efforts that we don't have listed, please email email@example.com and we will continue to update this post with new updates for as long as we have access to power.
Click here for all News and Specials for Causes@antiguanice.com