ST. JOHN'S CATHEDRAL CELEBRATES 169 YEARS Tuesday 16th October 2012
The Cathedral of St. John the Divine fondly referred to as “Big Church” to Antiguans and Barbudans for decades has reached a mile stone 169 years of existence.
The cathedral sits in a position of prominence between Newgate and Long Street with a majestic view of the city of St. John’s. It is a landmark well known and loved by Antiguans and Barbudans alike and the hundreds of thousands of visitors who have entered our shores.
From the construction of the first church, earthquakes have been the bane of the church’s structural existence. After being struck by an earthquake in its early existence in 1683 and 1745, the church went through various reconstructions.
The cathedral we know and love today sits on the same ground as two previous structures. It was established as the Diocese of Antigua in 1842 and St. John’s designated its cathedral. In February of 1843, a major earthquake struck again causing serious damage to the church.
It was partially restored and a new cathedral was constructed and adjoined the former structure. In recent times, the cathedral once again sits amidst construction material and debris as efforts have been on-going to repair the roof and structural damage it has acquired over the years.
The St. John’s Cathedral Restoration Committee was established to assist in fund-raising efforts for the historical landmark.
While some work has been completed on the structure, lots more need to be done to restore the cathedral to the majestic structure it is. October 9th is the date observed to commemorate the cathedral’s origins.
Article written by Tyrone Peters - Editor, AB Worldwide Connection E-Newsletter .
Click here for all News and Specials for St. John's Cathedral