ANTIGUA’S GOT TALENTFriday 9th August 2019
The hunt is on for Antigua’s rising stars and hidden talents. Antigua’s Got Talent is taking place on Saturday, August 24 from 7pm at Castaways in Jolly Harbour.
The fun-packed event is being hosted by Ibis the Livest and karaoke veteran Wesley Simon. Entrants will perform before the assembled crowd and panel of four judges which includes soca singers Drastic and Kimmy.
The winner will walk away with a Samsung Galaxy A8 and a 12-month prepaid contract courtesy of headline sponsor Flow. There are also prizes for the first and second runners-up.
New Age Karaoke will be on hand for those who love to sing. A PA system will be available and the stage set for anyone for prefers to dance, juggle, or perhaps perform a skit, poem or magic trick.
The event is being held in aid of PAAWS animal charity and is the “perfect antidote to the post-Carnival blues”, said PAAWS’ public relations officer Gemma Handy.
“Antigua is bursting with talent and we hope to unearth some of the lesser known names, while having lots of fun and raising much-needed funds for PAAWS,” she explained.
“It will be an upbeat, informal evening open to all non-professional performers aged 15 and over, although a couple of exceptions have been made to the age limit so, if you are a little younger, don’t let that deter you from signing up.
“We encourage people with any talent to take part; it’s just EC$20 to register and there are some fabulous prizes up for grabs for the top three winners thanks to the generosity of local businesses,” she said.
Spectators are also urged to head on down, cheer on their friends and enjoy the atmosphere and some drink specials. There will also be a chance for everyone to win prizes, regardless of whether or not they are entering the competition.
General entry fee for non-performers on the night is EC$10 and all proceeds go directly to PAAWS to assist with the running of its Parham-based shelter for rescued dogs and cats.
Backing music and a PA system will be available. Competitors requiring specific music to be played should bring it with them on a flashdrive. Call/WhatsApp +1 268 784-5151 to register in advance. Performers can also register on the night.
• PAAWS is Antigua’s main shelter for rescued dogs and cats. It has provided a safe haven for neglected, abused, injured and abandoned animals since 1996 and has successfully rehomed more than 2,000 over the years.
• All pets that are old enough are spayed/neutered, micro-chipped and vaccinated before being rehomed.
• PAAWS exists solely on donations and is always grateful for cash donations, along with pet food and medication, to help meet running costs. The biggest expenses are veterinary bills and wages for its team of local, hard-working staff.
• PAAWS’ Parham shelter is open to visitors and volunteers Monday to Saturday from 10am-4pm.
• PAAWS is fully licensed by the Dog Registration and Control Authority and has been registered as a friendly society since March 1996.
• Visit www.paaws-antigua.com or call +1 268 561-1484 for more information or to donate via PayPal.
Click here for all News and Specials for Protect Antiguan Animals With a Smile